PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report just published on A320 throttle asymmetry incident
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 20:10
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A37575 – Pprune at it's very best. There is no icon for 'Hats off' but consider mine doffed.

It's an old debate now, but years ago a couple of overseas companies I had the pleasure of working with used a "80 knots" callout, the idea was that it provided, well before any critical speed an ASI, engine power check and a warning of the approaching V1 speed range. I liked it and found it helpful. The GS check is also very useful, particularly when the speed tape and GS readout are on screen, but the early cross check built 'time' into equation. I still do it – in my head – just a quick look to make sure the power is balanced, the GS about what I'd expect and a glance at the standby, takes longer to write it out than it takes to do. Not advocating - just my slightly battered two bob's worth.

This report is interesting as it describes one of those 'sneaky' little holes in the cheese which can distract and create havoc; experience, training and discipline greatly benefit on those occasions, particularly at the pay attention end of a take off roll. All's well that ends well.