PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 17:34
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by syseng68k
Jeez, such exotic technology in aircraft. I'd love to get my hands on something like that, though sourcing the hydrazine might attract unwanted attention here in the uk, even if you could find someone to sell it to you.
The pre-production and first two (non-service) production Concordes had what were known as a MEPU, or Monofuel Emergency Power Unit - powered by hydrazine. Obviously there was no way they could have a substance that unstable on a line aircraft - and that was back in 1976!

Reminds me of all the kitchen and garden substances we used to mix together to make "fireworks" when we were at school. You would get locked up for years now for that sort of thing, such is the security paranoia, health and safety, control culture, ad nauseum.
Don't forget that H&S legislation boomed at the behest of corporate donors in order to minimise their exposure to litigation. Left to their own devices I'm sure the powers that be would have been more than content to simply continue scaring the bejeezus out of us with Public Information Films from an early age!