PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 10:14
Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a nutshell, they've got the planes, you've not got the money. So if you want to fly their planes, you do what you have to. It's their train set.

If you want to turn that around and get another job, then pay them to fly their planes, then so be it. Although that other job will likely keep you well away from the airfield for hours on end rather than at least on-site. IMHO, pilots around the club are more likely to remember people behind the counter (in whatever role), than just another PPL student. But it depends what you want out of it/them. If you're looking to back-seat or go up with someone, then being on-site is going to be more useful than just turning up for a lesson once every few weeks.

From what I remember washing dishes in a restaurant in my youth, there was plenty time to get to know the regulars and make contacts. Not every second of it is necessarily spent in front of a sink, especially when it's quieter. And in my case, it was a test. A few weeks of washing up, and I was promoted to the bar.

Last edited by Slopey; 22nd Jan 2013 at 10:16.