PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 07:40
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an aside -

I have often wondered why in Australia we do not use the "military" more on SAR than we do. I am sure our RAN would welcome the opportunity to plan and execute (budgetary constraints acknowledged) "as part of 'hands on' training an exercise" to retrieve whatever could be found at Norfolk Island. The guys would love it and it would beat swimming about in Darling Harbour "pretending"; hands down. The RAAF pilots could use their 'nav' time executing a SAR mission and gain real life experience, with a purpose; the Reserves could do ground search (having a ball – uniform and toys).

We have a very good, probably bored military (all codes) infrastructure, paid for and available to fight: why not 'real' NVG practice at low level – but to find a lost aircraft: or, go to sea to 'rescue' trapped submariners (read OBR), RAAF pilots out on SAR. Crazy idea I know, but I'd bet a six pack the troops would be up for it and the trainers glad of it. Why waste the best of the best in a swimming pool (semmantic).

Anyway - Nuff said – I know wind correction angle not equivalent to drift. But it's a point.