PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military experience worthless?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 07:32
Robert G Mugabe

Lets just presume my fellow ( ex ) african dictator is a well balanced stable type who is aware of his or her limitations and not an EMC.

The sad fact of the matter is that he or she will come from an environment where one is generally trusted to go away and do a job with a fair amount of leeway and trust from ones employer ( MOD ).

The mob I work with at the moment micro manage us. Essentially they do not trust us to do the job. Local management have established a tittle tattle regime where everyone has been encouraged to snitch on each other ( including local handling agents, airport employees'and Engineers) . It has become an arse covering exercise where the company just takes and the employee just gives. There is a constant expectation that we should go the extra mile while the company is barely willing to shift its position. That is in most facets of the job. Try getting a day off and see what I mean..

It is not a happy place to work. The Captains authority is slowly being eroded. Most decisions have to be vetted by operations ( not a bad thing generally ) but thinking out of the box while staying within SOP is NOT encouraged.

I have not even started on the extremely poor starting conditions for new contractors or the revised offer for employment. I would suggest Charles has no expectation of a direct entry command. The reality is he will more than likely be employed as flexicrew with 2 to 4 years before a chance of becoming an employee. Then a wait of 5 to 10 years to command. Not much of a life if you are in your early / mid thirties with a family or lifestyle expectations.

You might disagree with me however I would suggest many will see life through my " orange " tinted specs.

P.S Added 23 Jan for perspective. This is against a backdrop of a company that made a million a day last financial year. What will give when it does not achieve that sort of performance? The CEOs' bonus worth 2 and a bit million at current share prices or employees' flexibility and T&Cs'. You decide.

P.P.S The major shareholder disagrees with the AMB,s decision to consider a financial commitment to new airframes at the expense of shareholder reward.

Unhappy from top to bottom.

Last edited by Robert G Mugabe; 23rd Jan 2013 at 09:53.