PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Descend management. Looking for advice (a320)
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 07:29
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbers44
The US is requiring 1500 hrs to fly an airliner. Maybe because you should know how to handle it before you get in it. Making 300 hr pilots airline pilots is a problem for some countries. Automation can not be guaranteed to work as demonstrated on AF 447. Passengers deserve a qualified crew when they buy their ticket.
bubbers, I think that was an unnecessary and uncharitable response to a good question from a fellow pilot wanting to learn. I think such a response discourages learning by new pilots. Isn't inexperience and lack of knowledge exactly what you're fighting against?

I had lots more than 1500hrs when I joined a major carrier in 1973 but when I transitioned to the DC9 I asked all kinds of questions of the skipper including how to calculate the descent properly. Most were kind enough to share their knowledge.

The x3 + 35nm out @ 10,000ft/250kts generally worked but I learned, (from asking more patient skippers than you have exhibited here) when to extend that distance or shorten it up.

WST[/B], the A320 has a wonderful set of tools to help you on the descent* but you are very wise to back that up with your own thinking and calculations. That kind of behaviour will keep you out of most trouble - keep it up.

* Going from memory here...Indications of the vertical descent profile for the A320 include:

1. On the FMC PROG > Descent Page, Line 2 right-side there is the VNAV PATH digital indication of deviation above/below path;

2. On the ND, there is the green Energy Symbol (an arc);

3. On the PFD, to the left of the Vertical Speed display there is the magenta Vertical Dev symbol, which provides a +/- 500' window of deviation from the theoretical descent path.

4. On the ND track display - the white (in non-Managed Mode) or magenta (Managed Mode descent) top-of-descent arrow & level-off arrow on the ND.

The best thing you can do is keep reading in your FCOM. Read about all these indications so you know them like the back of your hand - know what each symbol means. That kind of professional approach will keep you from becoming a "child of the magenta line" and will stand you on firm ground when it comes time someday to take your own command.

IMPORTANT:
At varying times and when you least desire or expect it, all these indications can and will let you down, just like all automation can and will. Know your own descent path and where you should be at all times. (A good habit to get into anyway is, each time you start a descent, always know the lowest safe-altitude you can descend to.) Sooner or later, ATC is going to change runways on you and you have to be ready to re-calculate, and use all the symbols to best advantage while comparing them to your own thinking and SA.

Be well, and enjoy the A320 - it, and the A330/A340 are dreams to fly, but they're nothing more than just airplanes. Practice...practice, practice,... disconnecting the autothrust and practice hand flying all your skipper and company will permit. If either don't permit hand-flying, use all means at your disposal to push hard to have an automation-hand flying policy written into your OpsSpec and FCOM documents which will permit such practice in suitable conditions.

Last edited by PJ2; 22nd Jan 2013 at 07:43.