PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB....Is this another dud report? Power Loss at night in NT
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 03:05
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Come on guys... you are all better than this. Talk about Hook Line and Sinker.

Read my post again....read the report again.

Remember, I ampretty sure the reason for the oil pressure problem is known to several experts involved. Unless I have the wrong incited. But I am pretty sure I have not.

You are looking for and finding fault where none exists
No I am not. Where is the logical path that lead to that component failing. Was it a metallurgical fail? Was it lack of oil? If lack of oil pressure was it a pump failure? Was it an oil cooler leak....etc.

Think a bit further. Even If I am wrong about which Airvan had a failure like this and it was because it burned up all the oil in the sump, this report went nowhere near detailing what happened.

Old Fella
No mention anywhere about higher oil temp, which one would reasonably expect to see, if falling oil quantity was the root cause of the falling oil pressure.
Most of your post I can agree with, but this statement is an Old Wives Tale. This depends on a lot of things, and low oil level will not often show an increased temperature. It will eventually once the level gets really low start showing up as oil pressure issues.

blackhand
That would be because the oil level was OK, until the rod punched a hole through the case. Up till then the oil presure was decreasing as No. 6 journal clearance was increasing.
Or pehaps the more likely scenario of the oil pressure was fine until it started to drop due to insufficient oil, and then the oil pressure failed and a warning light said so. engine is still running but starved of oil. Then the big end bearing fails. After that of course the engine stops rotating, and thus no more bearings fail (even if they were about to) and given all the damage is at the top of the case, the oil remaining would still be in the sump.

But was there any??? I believe there was not and for a good reason. The ATSB have done nothing to give any credibility to this report, I doubt the engine went to a suitable engine shop, and the photo's supplied were clearly not taken with any forensic purpose in mind at all. If there were some, they did not publish them.

A joke of a report, even if my thought on the cause of the failure is very wrong.

Last edited by Jabawocky; 22nd Jan 2013 at 08:44. Reason: Fixing an APPLE spelling checker fixing my error wrongly!