PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2013, 00:30
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A lot of posts say he should not have flown in those conditions and hence such buildings should not have to be made more conspicuous!
I say absolute rubbish to that argument!
Aircraft are forced to carry all manner of equipment to protect pilots passengers and people on the ground from mistakes that can be made!
If you follow that argument then remove ground
Proximity warnings, remove high intensity lighting off high buildings etc because these perfect pilots flying strictly to the rules will never need such expensive devices?
I passed The building in question and without doubt it is a hazard to aircraft.
It is very close to the river, very tall, very close to Battersea and stupidly close to a Helicopter route!
To top that it had a temporary structure in the form of a crane towering above it!
It's all very well making the pilot a scapegoat but responsibility for this accident lies elsewhere too
nearly every accident is pilot error of one kind or another hence why the industry and regulators go to a lot if time and expense to stop those errors becoming tragic disasters.
Flight safety should be about plugging known safety holes! That building and Cranes which tower above the towers are a threat!

Last edited by Pace; 22nd Jan 2013 at 00:41.