PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Govt Tightens Rules on Use of Foreign Pilots by Indonesian Airlines
Old 21st Jan 2013, 23:59
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by syukri
Great.. Now the only oasis of global pilot job had vanished into thin air.. I wonder how local LCC's gonna sustain the expansion, and wait another 2 years for local cadet to be ready..
Wait another 2 years? I don't think so. There are at least 10 part 141 schools here in Indonesia pumping out graduate cadet pilots every month. Can't quite remember the numbers but it's around 50 a month.

Aeroflyer graduates who were once destined to go to Batavia are now free to apply to other airlines as far as I know. Wings Flying School are still churning out cadets for Wings and Lion Air at a steady rate. Sriwijaya also have their own flight school and have been in operation for almost 2 years now. Then you have Merpati Pilot School producing cadets for both their own and private students. BIFA has been producing cadet pilots at a phenomenal rate; I've heard of zero to hero in 12 months there and they have an agreement with Garuda and Indonesia Air Asia to supply graduate pilots. And then you have the private non-airline affiliated part 141 schools, like Lombok Institute Flight Academy, and Nusa International. And of course the national flying school, STPI whose cadet pilots mostly end up in Garuda.

The glory days of 200 hour foreign CPL holders coming to Indonesia to get a start in an airline are well and truly over. And it was never meant to be long term anyway. Those who were here from the start knew that very well, as it was quite a major hurdle just to get the ministry of manpower to approve a work visa in the first place. It was only given on the condition that once Indonesia has suitable candidates to fill the jobs, then your approval will cease.