PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RNAS Lossiemouth Gate Guardians
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2013, 21:57
Vigne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RNAS Lossiemouth Gate Guardians

I've recently come across a couple of photos taken by me way back in 1968 - or possibly 1967. Either way, it was Easter week.

I was in the CCF at school and was lucky enough to get a week's Naval Aviation Course at Lossiemouth. It being Easter, a lot of personnel were on leave and some opportunities and experiences weren't available to us. However, it was memorable for me in that I had my first-ever flight - in a Whirlwind, including a winching at Milltown - and a seat in a Buccaneer during an engine test. Very memorable for a fifteen-year-old - and still happy memories 45 years on!

Whilst we were there, we 'helped' with the positioning of a Sea Fury and Martlet as gate guardians. Apologies for the photo quality - they were taken on a Brownie 127........

I've trawled the 'net but cannot find any reference to these two aircraft. I have no further information on them - the original pics do not show any serial numbers at all. As far as I am aware, these photos are possibly unique as I was the only one with a camera at the time!

Would anyone have any knowledge of these aircraft and what subsequently became of them, please?