PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSA China Southern!
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2013, 14:03
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are some things the Chinese do incredibly well. A few things, they could teach the rest of the world. For instance, if you work for a Chinese airline, the Chinese run their airports more efficiently than anything i have ever seen. They have fewer staff on the ground, and less ground support equipment, than I have seen anywhere. Or maybe it is just that it is next to a terminal that would do the world's largest international airport proud, but the airport has only 1 runway?

But............

In some ways they are way off in left field. All the airbus guys in China, not just my airline, use Auto on the radar exclusively. I have seen a bunch of airbuses divert from an airfield with nothing but light rain (all the Boeings landed),and more humorously, I have watched airbuses ask for radar vectors around terrain features, on VFR days. Wuhan, in particular, always shows up as a big red thunderstorm at about 120 miles if you are using auto on the radar. I watched as aircraft ahead of me asked ATC for radar vectors around Wuhan, and my FO asked me if I wanted to do the same. I flipped the radar to manual, and pulled his newspapers off his front window. We went straight through "it". Clear air.

I saw this many,many times.