PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should Virgin Be Tighter........
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2003, 00:04
Sperm Bank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E.P. good to see you are doing some study on this issue. Have you ever lived and worked in Europe or the U.S. or Asia? If you have you will know full well that what I said in my last post is correct. There are MANY companies around Europe at various times whose crews do not have even remotely the experience levels we have here in Oz. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just the way it is.

The cyclic nature of the industry and high turn over of pilots in other parts of the world does not resemble what goes on in Oz.

Your guestimate re all the pilots having commands by years end whilst fanciful for the f/o's will not materialise. There are some who will be promoted and that will have seen some of them in the right seat for 3+ years. Some will have spent less than this however their total time will be up around the 5000 hr mark. Some more, some less.

During your research, how do you go about finding the experience levels of the pilot's in various companies? We have a good percentage of young fellows in command whilst the majority have airline experience both here and overseas. But none of that information (hours,exp. etc) is available publicly as far as I am aware.

I guess you would know that many of the European regional size jet operators have vastly inexperienced crews flying with each other on a daily basis. They only stay on the regionals for a short time before moving onto bigger equipment.

I could write many pages on this issue as I have first hand experience with it. I think if you are going to make statements like you have, you should at least provide documented evidence to support your statements. This current VB v's QF debate (debacle) is not enhanced by perceived short handed remarks or comments.