PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Airline Pilot Union Launches in UK - PPU
Old 21st Jan 2013, 07:59
zeddb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think things are bad in this industry with BALPA, then wait and see what things will be like without them.

They are far from perfect and they get right up my nose at times with that magazine of theirs, chock full of letters from Capt. Bufton Tufton BOAC/BA (ret) ex VC10, 707, Trident and Sopwith Camel as if they have any idea what is going on nowadays.

However, if the workforce gets split the management will descend on us like a ton of bricks. And there will be no effective and united opposition. Pay to fly will spread, FTL will be out the window, Longhaul economy positioning will be the norm and you had better get used to staying in Travelodge or equivalent at the airport on your layover.

If the VAA CC were so bloody useless, why not vote them out and get a new lot in? Same with the national executive. You do have a vote. You could even stand yourself.

Just my two bob worth. Personally I am delighted to be close(ish) to retirement option point 1. If the job gets too horrible for words I shall pull the pin at 57 and do something that doesn't involve a 200 mile commute, staying up all night, Indian bureaucracy/ ATC and food poisoning on a regular basis. The pay to fly kiddies will be welcome to it.

CPL1234, don't be silly. There are no "commies" in BALPA. Once you get your ATPL you will be very glad of the protection of a union, assuming you ever get a job.

Good luck with the exams.

Last edited by zeddb; 21st Jan 2013 at 08:05.