PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just another day at work?
View Single Post
Old 21st Jan 2013, 00:18
spinwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mmmm ...

Nice job from the boys at ADA .... and well done A.N. (?) from Heli-Dubai on the camera ship ...

As noted the 'Burj' wind sock is for show only ... local wind is rarely what is shown on the sock ... and anyway the 139's FMS output will indicate what the wind is likely to be in flight and at that height .... cross wind (?) approach is the go due obstruction from the structure.

Major reason for not wanting a tailwind on the 139 with external load is more to do with nose up attitude on final/hover than T/R effectiveness issues ... though there is a recommendation in the RFM with regard preferred wind direction in the hover!

Good work though .... bet there was some serious sweat involved !!

Edit:

HB-XNE (Marcus) .... Your being Harsh ... the bloke flying this job knew what he was doing or he wouldn't have been allowed to do it ... ADA DO HAVE SOME VERY WELL QUALIFIED EXPERIENCED LONG LINE PILOTS ... a risk assessment would most certainly HAVE been done ... and the 139 has multiple cameras to do the mirrors jobs ... high tech indeed ...

I would suggest the decision to have a minimal number of 'receiving' assistants on the deck was a good safety decision ... and just how do you know radios were not used ???? I agree not by the marshaller but I'd bet a vital part of your anatomy that there was radio comms at all times !! ... Helmets .. whilst not PC ... many marshalers in the M/E hate them 'cos on restricted size decks they slip, and then obscure vision and cause more safety issues than they fix ... I do agree though that its not the safest policy .. but in this case I think a good decision.

Last edited by spinwing; 21st Jan 2013 at 00:47.