PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Self studying for the CASA ATPL exams.
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2013, 20:43
fmcinop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beg, borrow or steal the money and do the AFT full time course.

I did it in '97 and admitting it was the most difficult and stressful 4 weeks of my life (until the 777 command), in the end, all subjects completed in 4 weeks and passed first time. Other guys tried to save a few $$$ by doing some themselves and whilst some eventually got through, non made it first attempt..

I was done and dusted in 4 weeks and was enjoying life stress free, whilst others were still studying many months later trying to pass. Thats worth the $$$ spent anyway. Some of the people on my course once back at work found it hard to study and took another year or so to pass. Other still to this day have not succeeded.

Nathan really knows his stuff. Whilst its great to read from a book, nothing beats a real instructor standing up front. Not only can you ask questions, but you benefit from other asking questions you may not have thought of. I had a great study buddy (sounds a little gay I know, not that there is anything wrong with that of course). I really sux'd and flight planning and he sux'd at...well everything else. I got 100 for the other subjects so we really helped each other out and both passed first attempt..

The methods taught by Nathan are not just designed to enable you to pass the exams.. The 727 Quick fuel SGR figures given also work on any aircraft type. Years later I worked out some quick SGR's for the 737 and was able to calculate a Brisbane - Perth on my calculator in less than a minute which was normally within 200 kg of the flight plan. Very handy and extremely accurate.

Last edited by fmcinop; 21st Jan 2013 at 09:24.