PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson Airways
Thread: Thomson Airways
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2013, 18:07
Shed-on-a-Pole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an observation here which may interest afew ...

I have just booked a quick mid-winter jaunt MAN-AGP-MAN. Contenders for the flight booking were: TOM EZY MON EXS RYR.

Initially, I was minded to give TOM a go, as they have taken delivery of alot of new aircraft since my last flight with them. Subject to the fare being broadly in line with the others, they were well placed to win the booking. Until I saw this:

HAND LUGGAGE ALLOWANCES:

TOM 55x40x20 5KG
EXS 56x45x25 10KG
EZY 56x45x25 No Weight Specification
MON 56x40x25 10KG
RYR 55x40x20 10KG

Now I pride myself on traveling light, but a 5KG limit? Exactly HALF as much as Ryanair who are not noted for their generosity on such matters? The Thomson Airways cabin baggage allowance is less than half as generous as the other three competitors in the list as well ... quite an astonishing statistic. Suitcases for check-in are subject to an additional payment as with the rival carriers, so customers don't make good on the shortfall there.

I have always enjoyed good flights with Thomson and am well disposed towards the company as a customer, but this restriction is so draconian that it makes TOM unbookable in a competitive marketplace. Is it TOM management policy to actively discourage short break flight bookings with this meagre allowance? It completely knocked TOM out of the reckoning for my booking on this occasion.

On another topic, I have long subscribed to Thomson's holiday offers by e.mail. I am registered with a Manchester address and have recently re-confirmed that MAN is selected as my preferred airport. However, over recent weeks I have been inundated with fare offers from DSA (and not from MAN) to destinations which are frequently served from MAN by TOM (and others). This seems extraordinary. Surely they don't really think that customers living close to MAN will traipse across to DSA for flights to destinations such as PMI and TFS?

What is going on? Is there such desperation to attract DSA bookings? Or has Thomson's marketing department just lost the plot?

An Intrigued Wellwisher ... SHED.