View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2003, 21:05
dde0apb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More on Miles, with photos

Just wondering if any of you know any more of the late 50s and 60s history of

G-AKBN : Messenger
G-AJYZ: Messenger
G-AKDK: Gemini - now in a museum in Denmark - apparently available to anyone with money, two Cirrus engines and undercarriage

All of these belonged to my grandfather Walter Bowles, some of whose photos are at http://www.beney.org.uk/personal/oldair.html

And just for luck: here's a lovely one of KBN, taken my John Yoxall.

On another note, you might enjoy G-AECC, Jimmy Rush's Falcon. I spoke to a friend of his widow recently, and gave her a copy of this picture (below)

And finally, how about this? Not strictly a Miles plane, but the winner of a Royal Aero Club design competition for a racing / touring aeroplane. Financed by Nat Somers, and designed by Hugh Kendall, it was the Somers-Kendall SK-1. Fuselage languishes at Breighton, I believe.

Here we have the dinner menu, as defaced by the attendees, for the 1954 Air Racing Dinner, in honour of Harold "Timber" Wood winner of the King's Cup Air Race in AKBO and Miss Freydis Leaf, winner of the Championship.

Towards top right you will note Lettice Curtis, of ATA fame, just about the then Civil Aviation Minister, someone who gained altogether different notoriety a little later.

Fred Dunkerley is top left below Jimmy Rush, and below him AJ Spiller of AKIN fame. Then Nat Somers who raced Geminis, and others whose names I can decipher if you wish.

Now another: Here's Ann Lindbergh in the Miles Mohawk

And finally: the handsome man on the right is my grandpa - anyone know who the man on the left hand side is?

Thanks

Last edited by dde0apb; 4th Feb 2003 at 21:50.