PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATIS braodcast on VOR stations
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2013, 10:53
Sir Richard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very unfortunate that certain posters choose to attack those who try to answer the question rather than providing useful information themselves.

nitpicker330 you appear to be familiar with Melbourne and Sydney so an examination of the en-route chart, AU(LO)6 for example, will show that the YMML ATIS is broadcast on 114.1 and 132.7, 114.1 being the ML VOR frequency. Conversely Essendon and Moorabbin use 119.8 and 120.9 VHF Com frequencies. Moving further North, Canberra has 116.7 and 127.45. Coffs Harbour 117.0 and 130.3. etc. etc.

ALL this information is gleaned from the face of the en-route Jeppesen chart mentioned above and is printed close to the airfield in question. (the charts I have may be out of date). Charts from other suppliers may have a different way of displaying the required information.

A few airfields in EuroLand and South America transmit ATIS on VOR frequencies but this method is becoming increasingy rare in USA, I can see Baltimore, KBWI still uses 115.1 and 127.8

In answer to Dindon42's question, there is no obvious highlighting of VOR located ATIS transmissions, I am afraid you have to examine the small print close to the airfield VOR in question. With the proliferation of Smart Phones, Pads and Tablets, there are several APPS available for retrieving ATIS and NOTAM information before or during flight.

p.s. My attempt at sarcasm/irony in post #10 was obviously too subtle.

deefer dog, I feel that you should look in a good mirror for a fine example of
pig ignorance!

Last edited by Sir Richard; 20th Jan 2013 at 12:15. Reason: Added BWI VHF Com Frq and APP suggestion