PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - would YOU get on a 787?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 22:04
GrahamO

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Who on earth thought of using these batteries?
They are the only ones with the level of energy density available. Don't be fooled into thinking this is a few Duracell Lithium batteries tied together. The electrical requirements of the 787 are HUGE compared with other aircraft. There is currently no other solution.

I thought we couldn't check them in our hold luggage, something about them being too dangerous.
You couldn't check them in any luggage as they are not publicly available, are not on any aircraft and are made of materials not available even in hybrid cars. There are reports that they contain Lithium when in fact this is only in minute quantities and they are in fact, cobalt oxide batteries.

And I thought they have brought down a couple of cargo 747's, although I could have that wrong and would happily be corrected.
Don't think so as these batteries are only on the 787.

What is more, why are the airlines so happy to take an aircraft with them in the first place?
Because they thought they were safe and they had no option. Next time you go and buy a car, try telling the showroom that you are not satisfied with its safety record and you'd like them to change a few bits of the braking mechanism, - they will tell you to buy something else.

It is all very well blaming Boeing and the FAA as some are in some threads and in the media but surely airlines are aware of the dangers in these batteries.
Do you imagine the airlines design aircraft and decide on the choice of every component and check every engineering decision ? Do you do the same when you get in your car and drive off ? Do you know every component safety situation in your car ?

They should have said no to the aircraft. I certainly will until this is sorted.
Bah humbug attitude with a touch of self-importance ..... there are many many more things that can go wrong with an aircraft but it is as they say, entirely your choice. However, if you drive to your destination, you are statistically even lesss likely to arrive safely.

Travel safely.

Last edited by GrahamO; 19th Jan 2013 at 22:07.