PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 17:12
A310bcal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of times I have asked the open question to the Rotor Head fraternity about the Agustas capability in icing conditions.....would anyone care to tell me what their opinions are?

An earlier comment was about chain of events and choices/decisions.
Fly to Elstree,weather deteriorates, divert back to base, weather deteriorates, divert enroute to Battersea.
Plenty to cope with and if you throw in icing which is an issue I suspect, a few folks have suggested going up, but NO, there is cloud above and its conducive to icing....
If conditions deteriorate to preclude useful SVFR, my gut feelings would be resort to CRM, not try and solve just on my own....who can you use? Heathrow Approach for sure. A Pan call to them would allow if necessary a diversion to them (yes I know it would cost money and loads of hassle, even a few go-arounds for the big boys) , but far better than struggling into Battersea with VERY marginal conditions. Any port in a storm !!

Hindsight perhaps, but I wonder if single crew helicopter pilots , are perhaps more inclined to solve problems on their own without wanting to resort to outside help when in a sticky situation?