PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 15:54
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eltonioni

Going up is an option and one if I have taken in piston twins in situations where I was unhappy!

The problem here is I do not think he had got to a stage of being unhappy!

Sadly I drove past the building today! It is tall and very close to the river! I can well see how he got where he did! It is also very close to Battersea.
Looking at the building and situation I am even more convinced that serious lighting needs to be attached to that structure it's an accident waiting to happen with its proximity to busy helipad.

I felt really sorry for the pilot as I do not reckon the poor guy made much of a mistake.

The authorities maybe yes as that building should not be so minimally protected!

But going back to your point ! I do not believe he felt anything was wrong and probably had the shock of his life seeing the building as he flew out of mist.

He probably had fractions to pull away and didn't see the Crane arm!
So I doubt he was ever in a position to contemplate climbing as in his situation nothing was wrong. That building is wrong though.
Would lighting have saved him? Maybe in my opinion but we will never know.
I too do not expect much from the AAIB report as we did not get anything conclusive from the Citation Biggin Crash! Recommendations?? The CAA have already stated that they are looking at the lighting.

Last edited by Pace; 19th Jan 2013 at 16:46.