PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Airline Pilot Union Launches in UK - PPU
Old 19th Jan 2013, 15:46
a1anx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PPU Constitution

A copy of the PPU Constitution can be seen here. I found this bit interesting :-

Professional Legal Liability Insurance
The Union shall maintain a policy of Professional Legal Liability Expenses Insurance to cover members’ professional
legal expenses incurred in the course of their role as a pilot employee of any operator listed in Rule 3.2. The extent of
the professional legal liability cover will be strictly limited to the sum (currently £125,000 or £250,000 per claim)
selected by the member upon joining or upon renewal of membership or upon the member specifically increasing
their level of professional legal liability cover, the cost of which shall be incorporated into that member’s
contributions. A copy of the general policy wording shall be available to members via the Union’s website and the legal
liability insurance cover shall be strictly limited to that provided in the policy document and associated schedules.
Only in the event that a member is excluded from the Professional Legal Liability Expenses Insurance cover detailed in
Rule 12.1 for whatever reason, may that member be entitled to seek a proerata reduction in the legal indemnity
insurance component of their membership fees and obtain their own Legal Expenses Insurance cover from an
alternative insurer and it is confirmed in writing to the member concerned that such policy is acceptable to the Union.
Members who have an unexpired pilot’s professional legal liability policy in place at the time of joining will be
admitted as members provided a) that their existing policy is confirmed in writing to the member concerned that such
policy is acceptable to the Union before joining, and b) that the member concerned joins the PPU scheme in
accordance with Rule 12.1 upon the expiry of his or her own policy.
For the avoidance of doubt, all members of the Union acknowledge as a specific condition of their membership of the
Union that the Union itself does not offer legal protection to members and that any and all legal protection coverage
for members is expressly limited in accordance with Rules 12.1, 12.
2 and 12.3.
I wouldn't let any union tell me what sort of insurance I want or need.