PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - STANSTED - 2
Thread: STANSTED - 2
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 12:28
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "The whole idea of the sell off was to increase competition around London, I would expect a change in the profile of STN. More business, more long haul applying pressure on LHR and reducing the need for a third runway."

Maybe that was the plan of some politician or policy wonk who has no idea how the aviation industry operates.

The profile of STN will not change dramatically: it will remain a holiday and charter operators base, a no-frills airlines base, and an important cargo base. Indeed it's future may lie in cargo, cargo, cargo.

More long haul business at STN is so unlikely it can be discounted. Premium business is where airlines make money, and premium business is at LHR, 10-20 times as much as at other UK airports. Carriers that cannot get LHR slots will sit in the LGW "waiting room" or go outside the UK to airports with premium pax: AMS, CDG, FRA. It is as simple as that.

So, no, a change of ownership at STN does not reduce the pressure for a third rwy at LHR. It has no impact whatsoever and the urgent need for a third and fourth rwy at LHR remains.

Quote: "In terms of what Stansted could, or certainly should attract are the non-based carriers at Luton (Blue Air, El Al, both of which used Stansted in the past), I would be surprised if Wizz moved as Luton is a lower cost airport, smaller and less direct Ryanair competition, the dream airport for Wizz I would imagine."

Not LY, it is at LTN for one very good reason: proximity and good links between LTN and Hendon and its surrounding area. Other LY services are at LHR, there is no reson for LY to move to STN.