PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 10:01
Geriaviator

Received 241 Likes on 75 Posts
Ab initio by night

Unreliable memory not at all, Danny, you continue to enthrall us. You're right about the ab initio night flying experiment, I recall that my aforementioned CFI Tubby Dash was deeply involved. The trial may have been at Stapleford Tawney or White Waltham.

The Welsh language is alive and well to this day, being switched on for Saesneg-speaking shoppers. We have holidayed in Wales for many years and genuinely tried to support local shops, but after so many discourtesies we now go to Tesco. We find bilingual road signs a hazard too: the local Welsh speakers know where the places are, the visitors who don't must decipher their destination from the clutter.

Thankfully Cardiff ATC does not issue cllearances in Welsh, though I remember being cleared for a VOR approach into Casablanca by a controller speaking very poor English to me, French to a military aircraft already in the procedure, and Arabic to something else. When he cleared us down to the same level as the other aircraft I became rather worried ... but that's another story.