PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Rivet Joint
Thread: RAF Rivet Joint
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2013, 03:56
NoVANav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Correct Info on RAF RC-135 Rivet Joint (Airseeker)

There is quite a lot of mis/uninformed information and comments in the previous posts. Thought I would clear the air.
KC-135s converted for the RAF all come from the last batch of KC-135s built for the USAF. All FY 1964 procurements. This is the same year that the RC-135V and U models came from and are the last of the -135s built. Some of the FY 1962 RC-135Ws now have over 50,000 flying hours and are not subject to the same limitations as the KC-135 fleet.

RC-135s are modified and upgraded by L3 corp at their facility at Majors Field, Greenville, TX and are incorporated into the normal USAF RC-135 upgrade and maintenance schedule (not really a "Boeing" aircraft as L3 has responsibiity for both airframe and equipment). Any idea that these are "old" aircraft without any documentation, or that they will be treated any differently than USAF RCs is pure bunk. The RAF will be incorporating them into the routine L3 upgrade cycle in the future. Essentially, except for some minor comm and equipment changes, they will be the same as the USAF Rivet Joints. Back end mission equipment will be to the same standards.

Sharing of, and joint operations of, airborne SIGINT assests between the RAF and USAF has been a longstanding operation, dating back many years. I've even flown on a Nimrod R.1 mission as a USAF Captain during the Cold War.

Paint is called a "White-top" and is vital to cool the aircraft on the ground. I understand L3 looked at an "RAF colour scheme" and ran into trouble with the cooling issue, hence the standard USAF scheme. I would have liked to see something different, but L3 has a great paint facility and system to provide a very hard, long-lasting finish to the aircraft (electric sputter application, I believe). Even the nose radome is a hard glossy finish, which lets the bugs slide off much easier when you are doing pattern work.

Given all the problems with the Nimrod, and the need for more interior room for expanded mission equipment, the Rivet Joint was the only cost effective approach for RAF needs. It will be great to see the 51 Sqn Red Goose on the tail!