PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 21:55
stuckgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A private charter by Sir David Tang
was one report and another..

Helicopter crash: pilot was picking up owner of Ivy restaurant - Telegraph

Tycoon Richard Caring, 62, was waiting at Elstree airport in Hertfordshire and was said to be completely unaware that the aircraft had diverted to Battersea heliport because of the bad weather.

Mr Caring told the Daily Mail that he has been left devastated by the death of Mr Barnes, who he described as a “very dear friend”.

The millionaire businessman, who owns Wentworth golf course, The Ivy restaurant and Annabel's nightclub, regularly uses helicopters to fly him from London to his Exmoor shooting estate and on working trips.

He is reported to have flown with Mr Barnes many times and was waiting for him to take him to Yorkshire on business on the day of the accident.
Father-of-two Mr Caring, of Hampstead Heath, London, said: “I flew with Pete Barnes for many years. He was a very dear friend and a very accomplished pilot. My thoughts and prayers are with his family during this awful time. I am devastated for their loss.”
He had arrived at Elstree in good time and despite the bad weather he had no idea that Mr Barnes, who he had spoken to earlier in the day, had decided to change his route, it is reported.
Friends of the businessman claimed that he was struggling to come to terms with the tragedy.