PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 18th Jan 2013, 21:34
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flyaways, I find your attitude a bit disturbing.
You expect to have people put themselves out for you,( some would say "a bit precious")
So, Mummy waited on you all your life? did all your "nasty" washing -up?
did all your laundry and ironing? cleans the skidders out of the bog for you?

Welcome to adulthood. Grown-ups do this for others, they even change ****ty nappies and clean asses and not just for babies either (senile incontinence/disabilities etc. They get on with it, learn that life just isn't a bed of roses and some really foul jobs just arent well -paid.

Re-dishes...Hot water dissolves grease and kills germs....what's hard about scraping the leftovers into a bin/tipping juices/gravy down the sink instead of your lovely shoes?

At 13 years old, I worked the summer-holidays as "ballboy" on a fairground Bingo -stall 8.30 AM start and close between 8PM and Midnight.....then help put the shutters up and cycle 4 miles home Lunch was 1/2 hour, AFTER all the "men" had been and invariably it meant egg on toast or something similar as main meals had gone....I didn't whinge or complain or make out it was all beneath me...a quiet period saw me having to clean the Boss' car and he was delighted that I bought an old toothbrush from home to clean the intricate chrome-work that was bunged up with dirty polish....guess what?

I wound-up at the end of the season , in charge of one of the stalls or a kiddie's roundabout, or even in the cash-kiosk building piles of pennies etc.to hand quickly to the "punters"(sixpences for the juke -box)....Yes, it was tiring, sometimes boring, often tedious ,but I saw a lot, learned a lot and was respected by the people I worked for,-My Dad was proud of me (Mum had left home sometime before) I was paid a pittance , worked totally illegal hours even in those days...but I learned self-reliance and independence as well.

Don't act hastily and burn your bridges....I'm sure you can make the job more effective and efficient (the net is your friend-look up "cleaning dishes in a cafe" or "restaurant dish-washing" ) -get creative in your search and learn about food-handling and hygiene requirements. SHOW a willingness to learn and adapt OUTSIDE your comfort-zone. the maturity of attitude and application will make you stand out from your peers- you aren't the only "volunteer", are you? - so be the bright-willing-adaptable-knowledgeable go-getter....even if your direct boss doesn't acknowledge it, others WILL notice ,as another poster commented, it'll come back at the most unexpected times.

If you secure the retail job, the same ground-rules apply- make it your business to know your product/service better than your colleagues If the customers seek you out specifically,or their friends have been recommended because of your prescence, you're doing it right!

Just remember, Rome wasn't built in a day!...I,m minded of an old joke... the Chairman is in his Office with a view over the factory buildings-standing next to him is a young lad. he's talking to a man in an Overall-coat...."I want my lad to start at the bottom and work his way up.....
then this afternoon......"

Wish you luck-remember, I wouldn't waste the time/energy posting if I didn't think you were worth it!