PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 21:19
AAKEE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Pace
High intensity lighting is very visible in fog !
Fog is just cloud or visible moisture! As you know when you drive in fog the visibility in bad fog is probably 50 to 200 meters! Would you drive in fog towards cars with no lights on ?
Ever flown formation in clouds/fog ? Or looked at the wing on a commersial jet inside a cloud ?
When you drive the car 'under' the fog you could have 200m of 'RVR' visibility. Inside it could go way below.
There would be needed to have a lot of lights to cover a single crane, they would need to sit very close. Even then, most people doesnt flyies IMC below a safe speed for the heli or fixed wing(= at least 60knots). There will be no time to react and avoid hitting when you see the light.

We had ceiling about 200' yesterday. It covered only the top (5-10meters) of the nearest GSM/3G mast to my house. Still couldnt se the red light, about 500m from my home. When I drove by the mast I looked up for the light, it was there(lit) but I barely saw it from about 150m distance. Notice that this wasn't 150m through clouds but line of sight was about 130m below clouds and perhaps 20m diagonally through the cloud. Noticed this due to the fact that the mast was all covered with ice and frost and was almost impossible to se even below the ceiling. That's where I fly for most of the days when its below zero in the clouds.

Last edited by AAKEE; 18th Jan 2013 at 21:20.