PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 16:21
Lemain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not quite sure who posted the snip below....

How do you know? Have you ever encountered such a situation?
Certain masts, tall pylons etc on the continent use strobe attention getters for aviators and very well they work. Couple with steady lighting they can be seen in very poor weather conditions.
We need to challenge old customs and practices from time to time to see if they are still appropriate. I'm not saying that we should not light structures, or, come to that, that we should. In the marine world vast numbers of buoys and lights have gone. They were becoming a hazard as so many drifted off or went u/s and a mark that 'disappears' is more of a danger than a help.

Suppose we discovered aviation today, in 2013, with our present nav tech, would we stick lamps on all tall things? What, where, by whom, why? This problem of information overload bothers me. When lights of the kind we have today were first proscribed we had limited panels and if we were lucky a radio. Today we have something that makes an X-Box look like a toy.

I don't suppose I'd challenge runway lights, VASIs or specific oddball markers but do we really need lamps all over the place? We certainly don't need them for nav (at least, not in professional aviation) and the Garmin has replaced the eyeball for much private/light aviation. If we removed 99% of the lights then what's left would stand out as something to note, not just yet another lamp.

Maybe it depends on the region; in high density highly-developed regions it's one story, over rural, or desert it's another. And then if you have different rules for different circumstances, how does the pilot know what to look for? Dunno, I just put the question on the table to chew over.