PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Freezing fog, lowering cloudbase, follow the river!
Old 18th Jan 2013, 16:05
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Freezing fog, lowering cloudbase, follow the river!

In the forums discussing the helicopter/crane accident, some macho chopper chaps are recalling their younger days, when they had pressed on in bad conditions.

I looked in my logbook, and sure enough, on 28 February, 1991, I was flying solo back from Alicante, Spain, in stages, in my 150 Piper Supercub. Fly two hours and stop for a cuppa, fly another two hours and spend the night in a small hotel.
Leaving Le Blanc, the cloudbase got lower and lower and lower, and I got lost.
Was trying to get to Tours, and after that, Le Mans, and Le Touquet.

Talking to the nice English Speaking Controller at Tours, he identified my transponder, and told me to follow the river that would lead me straight to that friendly city. Also, following the river meant that I avoided the tall masts that were sprinkled fairly frequently over the French landscape, which were now visible only half way up....I was LOW! Figuring that they wouldn't stick a mast in the middle of the river, I carried on toward Tours, but suddenly spotted a small airfield on my right, which turned out to be Amboise Dierre, and very welcome and welcoming it was. Tours was pleased that I was OK. I waited for better vis before continuing, two days later.

Anyone care to contribute a similar yarn of surviving unfavourable conditions?