PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another 787 electrical/smoke incident (on ground)
Old 18th Jan 2013, 14:19
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sb_sfo, FPO.

Right. The IFE equipment is in the forward Bay. I think it is Thales derived. Originally, 'CONNEXION', a Boeing company, was to have been the vendor for IFE, then PANASONIC, then THALES. CONNEXION went banko, and the THALES system became severely outdated due the delays...The gen cycle in the IFE field is eighteen MONTHS. The Company (Boeing) developed an offer to operators for a line installed system post delivery.

My concern involved the power source, though I did initially believe the equipment was AFT. With a Main Battery acting up, prior to APU start, as the source of the diversion, the distribution issue is moot until the switch over, if any.

Reviewing the FAA special consideration for LithIon install, I could not locate a rule that addressed charging, only retention issues in discharge... So the issue becomes one of charging, which of course gets very delicate when load is highly variable, as exists in failure condition.

FPO From your picture, I assume the two batteries are displayed after removal from the a/c, both aft and forward EE bay LiIon batteries. The tops are in front, the bulging one from the main battery, post "expansion". I am guessing the cases are Stainless?

Silver lining? If the two emergency landings involved tramp FOD and Gen failure, respectively, we look at a ground problem.

Last edited by Lyman; 18th Jan 2013 at 16:50.