PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreaming of flying a jet (specially to you older guys!)
Old 18th Jan 2013, 14:19
Torque Tonight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've re-read this thread in the cold light of day wondering if I had maybe been a bit too harsh on our delicate little flower, but unfortunately I still find myself facepalming at what he writes.

One of my early instructors once said to me that if ever you find yourself sitting there doing nothing while flying an aircraft, it's because you've missed something. That remains true to this day. Any d1c khead can sit there idle and bored in the cruise on a long sector, but the better pilot will always find something to do, whether it's checking the status of en-route alternates, monitoring systems, or even learning something.

You complain about declining Ts&Cs, you blame those who enter the industry and work for peanuts, and yet you yourself have accepted a job with less pay than you feel is appropriate, so you are an equal part of the problem. A self-hack there.

The problem in the industry one of supply and demand, pilots versus pilot jobs available and you will understand the market forces that are generated. The best thing for the pilot body as a whole would be to have fewer people entering the industry. Those that enter the industry and work for virtually nothing and those who get jobs but then bitch and moan about how awful life is, are the two main groups that the industry would be better off without, and I'm afraid you seem to tick both boxes.

You seem to have entered the profession based on a stereotype. You seem to have expected a highly paid job that's easy but exciting with short, civilized hours of work and a free choice of where you work. If you know of any such job in the world please let me know. Some due diligence would have given you a realistic understanding of the job, upon which you could make sensible career choices. The fact that flying a four sector day and then being tired afterwards came as a surprise to you beggars belief.

Everything you write tells me that you are not cut out to be a pilot and as I said before there is no shame in that. Just do something about rather than bleating. There's nothing more irritating than spending a day in the flight deck with someone who bitches all day.

Now I realise that you want to open the eyes of wannabies. That is great and the main thrust of my rant is that everyone, you included, should go in with their eyes open. However many of the things you complain about, we either quite enjoy or accept as a thoroughly anticipated part of the job. You will find very little sympathy here - but you've probably picked up on that by now.