PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 18th Jan 2013, 13:08
dublinpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I am going to leave it. I've found a retail job which i'm going to apply for and i'll try and get as many hours as I can, and the wage will be around £5-6 an hour. I know what retail is like, i've had a job in that sector before and I didn't like it, but i'm willing to give it another go to pay for lessons.

Maybe on the days I have flying lessons (when I get some money to start buying them) I could arrive an hour early or something and sit in the club house/ restaurant and chat to pilots and owners and ask them any questions I have- try and build up friendship that way.

I'm sure it will work out in the end!
Seems like a good plan to me.

At £5 per hour * 48 hours that you have to work in the cafe to get a flight, you'll have earned £240. That should cover two flights or there abouts. Added to the fact that you at least know what you're doing and don't dislike it as much.

It also give you an employment history, and presumably a reference at the end of it.

You won't always get to do jobs that you enjoy, and I personally don't think washing up is that icky, but if you don't like it and have a better alternative, then why not take it?

If what you really want is a backseat ride, then why spend your time in a kitchen hiding away from everyone other than kitchen staff, hoping someone might ask you to come along? If you want something ask for it.

Put a notice up on the notice board explaining that you are about to commence training and would be grateful for anyone that might allow you to come along if they have an empty seat. You might not get any answers, but I think it a lot more likely than if you're stuck in a kitchen away from the public.

If you are happy to wash planes in return for a flight, then put that on the notice board. As on pprune and other please for a spare seat.

In short, if you want something then ask for it, and think what you can do to make it more beneficial to the person who can offer it. Don't be hiden away and quite and hope that someone will unprompted offer you want you want.

I've never offered a stranger a flight. I always tend to assume that others at the airport have just come back from flying or are about to go (Why else would they be there!) Occasionally there is someone at the fence with a small child, but I'm somewhat cautious about brining a small child that I've no knowledge of, even if their parents are on board too.

Only on one occasion did I ever find someone who clearly was looking for a flight, but unfortunately I had just returned from one. I strongly considered going flying again just to bring him, but I had other committments and wasn't sure I could be back in time. But it goes to show that if you show what you want rather than hiding away, your chances improve greatly.

dp