PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 12:05
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whether you're a realist, an optimist, wearing rose tinted glasses or just way cool shades, there's one thing that does stand out from the video that we might all agree on. The number of Brits associated with the test programme.

From personal experience, I know that there are many highly talented people out there, young and older, who are working damn hard to bring the F-35B through its flight test programme. And 2012's programme was demanding from the outset. (Answer to S41). In that clip, you saw any number of Brits who are making a decisive contribution to a hell of a tough task. That level of involvement in a highly classified US defence programme is a testament to talent, persistence and mutual respect on the ground for the UK's years of leadership and expertise in designing and fielding STOVL combat aircraft. I'm proud as hell of the job they are doing.

I absolutely respect the right of anyone to come on a forum and say anything they want - but just occasionally, it would be nice if people gave a little thought to the talented individuals out there who they are effectively 'slagging off' in public. This forum does, I'm sorry to say, lose credibility when opponents (and proponents) of the programme lash out with opinions that lack any factual basis.

I suppose what I'm saying is 'let's all try to play a bit more nicely', and give smart people a measure of respect.

And, to play by the rules and address the thread's question - I think the chance of the F-35 being cancelled is extremely low. There will probably be future reductions, but look at the alternatives for the US - make more F-18s, F-16s and F-15s. That would put the USA in the 'second tier' of combat aircraft designing nations. Honestly, I can't see that happening. The USMC are solidly behind the B, the USN needs the C, and the USAF has to get the A.

If the F-35 were to be canned, the UK would be in a very bad place for any future combat aircraft apart from Typhoon derivatives - and I've posted my thoughts on that prospect before. It would also mean the end of the Uk's aspirations for maritime strike. But as I've said, i see that as a remote prospect.

Best Regards as ever to all those just getting on with a tough job,

Engines