PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 18th Jan 2013, 12:00
Flyaways

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a commercial organisation- all staff are paid apart from the volunteers.

I found the position because I emailed them to ask them if they do any kind of scheme that enables me to work in return for lessons.

They have a few volunteers, mostly teenagers around 15 years old (ish). All the other staff are paid.

The fact is was snowing did mean no planes were coming in. I know there was a lack of jobs available but I had to wash up anything that was dirty. I helped with the general cleaning jobs too, but there was only a few. They made it clear that I would be doing the washing up, so on busy days I would be doing the washing up constantly, probably non stop if you include returning the dried stuff back to it's place. They also said I would only be working on weekends because they don't need me on weekdays as it isn't busy.

Now to me, this sounds like it is busy on weekends which is when they would need me. This means I will always be washing up and if I had any breaks it would be only around 15 minutes or so, which isn't long enough to go for a flight (I assume).

Don't get me wrong, if it was a voluntary run club and I felt that the work I did was genuinely appreciated then I would stick it out.

Guess what. Work isn't always fun. That's why they pay you for it. If it would be great fun all the time, they would find people to do it for free.
I know it's not fun, especially because it's retail. I'm happy to stick it out at a retail job where I am paid though.

Whining about your job on a public forum after the first day is typically not a sign of a responsible employee/volunteer.
I would argue that i'm not showing that i'm irresponsible- if I was I would have probably said the flying school's name or something. There isn't anything irresponsible about asking for advice and keeping it as anonymous as possible.

Also you said about this being a public forum, I'm aware of this and I have mixed up a few details on here such as the days, flight prices (Although not by much), locations, activities etc but the general gist is the same. If any reading this belongs to a flying club who has a newly started volunteer, I'm probably not that person. There are a lot of flying clubs around so please don't confront any volunteers you meet to see if I am them!!

Also, if you are running a volunteering scheme at your airfield, make sure you learn from this thread! It would probably be a bit more interesting if they offered, say a 15 minute flight after each shift (That you can either have after the shift or you can save them up for a longer flight), instead of having to work 4 shifts for a 30 minute flight.

On the upside, I have learnt that when I get my PPL i'll walk around the airfield before I go up and offer any spare seats to anyone who looks interested!