PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dumb arses and guns...
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 10:30
noprobs

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well done; a reference to Mil Aviation!

Duncs
Here's another tenuous link. In 1995, I was in Sarajevo doing a military aviation job. Our lot had recently been bombing the other lot on the far side of the city, and we won. As Christmas approached, we started receiving the traditional parcels of goodies from back home. The previous year, most of these had been passed on to the orphanages on our side of the besieged city, so this time we decided to try a gesture of reconciliation. We phoned the Serb colonel in his somewhat damaged barracks over the other side, asking for reassurance that we could safely cross over to visit him and give food parcels for the kids over there. He agreed, and 2 of us set off to deliver seasonal wishes.

We (me RAF and an American colleague) were greeted by the colonel in his colourful purple/blue DPM kit and Nike trainers. He was a well-spoken, well-educated, urbane man, who seemed hospitable and reassuring. After a few cups of coffee and glasses of slivovitz, we were having quite a pleasant conversation, despite recent events. Eventually, we got to the point where I thought that he was making a joke, but then I realised that he was indeed serious. In talking about what our children would be doing back home at Christmas, he suggested that our UK and USA kids would be playing with computers, thinking that these would be the means to control the world in the future. However, he said, his son would be practising with his AK47; that was the real secret to future power.

Sadly, all these years later, there still seem to be a lot of adherents to this philosophy.

Last edited by noprobs; 18th Jan 2013 at 10:33.