PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 18th Jan 2013, 09:57
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel like I'm missing a bit of the story here.

Just to add a bit of background, I've been volunteering for a lot of things since I was 16. Mostly in the scouts movement, but also at sports clubs, a first aid club and most recently a charity that offers experience flights to sick and handicapped children. Anything from washing the dishes and cleaning the toilets to being the chairman of the board. I also did an MBA thesis on motivation of volunteers, essentially applying motivational models (Herzbert and similar) to volunteer organizations.

First question I have: What sort of organization is this? Is this a commercial school with paid staff for (nearly) everything, or is it a club which runs on predominantly volunteer labor?

Second question: What experience do you have in being active (even as a "consumer", like a cub scout, junior sports player or something) in a volunteer-run club environment?

Third question: How did you find this job? Is it a club that has a lot of experience in bringing in and training volunteers, or is it a commercial school where you applied for a position as volunteer, and did they not know what that was and how to handle it?

Depending on this, my answer would fall somewhere between "you're being exploited" and "suck it up, kid".

If it's a commercial school, with paid staff (engineers, instructors, restaurant staff and so forth) and there is some sort of scheme where you put in 20 hours of volunteer labor for an hour of free flying, then you're essentially being exploited. You do not have any labor protection, minimum wage guarantee or the ability to spend your "income" as you see fit: The fictive amount of money you "earned" is held in escrow against your future flying. I don't know labor laws in your country, but it might be fully illegal too.

On the other hand, if you're participating in a volunteer-run club where nobody (or virtually nobody) gets paid, then you're just going to have to suck it up. Even in a full-volunteer environment the dishes have to be washed up (not to mention the toilets), and even in a full-volunteer environment the newest volunteer starts at the bottom. Furthermore, even in a full-volunteer environment certain jobs (like waiting on tables and fixing airplanes) require experience and sometimes even formal qualifications. So you may not qualify for these jobs yet, and in fact may not even qualify for certain jobs until you've had a significant amount of formal training.

Add to that that if there's no flying because of the weather, a lot of interesting and rewarding jobs are simply not there. That leaves time for the rotten jobs that normally get skipped when it's busy (picking up cigarette butts out of the shrubs is one such typical job - although snow kind-of prevents that), and it means that lots of people are sitting around being bored. And thus are trying to find jobs for themselves and others to do.

Last thing: In both volunteer and professional organizations, with privileges comes responsibilities. A new guy is normally not given any privileges before he has shown that he is willing to accept those responsibilities. Whining about your job on a public forum after the first day is typically not a sign of a responsible employee/volunteer.

(Oh, and if you think washing dishes is an icky job, try changing out a toilet bowl that's been in continuous use for 20+ years. One of the jobs at my club that I volunteered for a while ago. The trick is not to breathe during the most gruesome tasks, and washing your hands very thoroughly afterwards.)

I think I am going to leave it. I've found a retail job which i'm going to apply for and i'll try and get as many hours as I can, and the wage will be around £5-6 an hour. I know what retail is like, i've had a job in that sector before and I didn't like it, but i'm willing to give it another go to pay for lessons.
Guess what. Work isn't always fun. That's why they pay you for it. If it would be great fun all the time, they would find people to do it for free.

Last edited by BackPacker; 18th Jan 2013 at 10:16.