PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Crash Central London
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 09:40
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piltdown

We still do not know whether a mechanical problem brought Peter Barnes into that situation or whether it was a small error!
There are a mass of so called experts and politicians with their own agendas calling for changes but directing their fire at Aviation.
I wish I had had my Camera in London yesterday to photograph the skyline.
It was all to apparent at the haphazard way these high level cranes were dotted all over the place.
They do without doubt form a hazard not just to helicopters but could do so also to a stricken aircraft taking off from Airports close into the City.
While I am sure after the investigation has taken place recommendations will be made in light of those investigations.
Please to not make aviation the Scapegoat or for that matter the pilot who like the rest of us is human.
A large portion of attention needs to be directed at the structure that brought this Helicopter down ie the Cranes and how better to control these temporary structures and make them safer.

Some of these tall buildings cost hundreds of £millions if not £billions and make huge profits for their developers. It is not too much to ask that adequate high tech technology and lighting is fitted to the Cranes to protect others who are in that sky on purpose or accidently

Many cranes feature on NOTAMs worldwide, remind me, how many cause incidents ?
Yes one a few days ago which had the Helicopter gone off in a different direction after impact could have caused a much higher loss of life! How many do you want??

Last edited by Pace; 18th Jan 2013 at 10:00.