PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad Mini mounting options/availability in Australia
Old 18th Jan 2013, 09:07
NOtimTAMs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BTW - I never said anything about using it as an EFB nor for use flying under an AOC, I just enquired as to the Australian availability of mounting options.

It is interesting that CASA chooses to use (?abuse) the intent of CASR 1998 21M to limit the temporary fixing of lightweight portable equipment, apparently even in private operations. There are thousands of aircraft flying out there with a varying assemblage of GPS on yoke mounts, glareshield mounts, windscreen bow mounts, suction mounts and these GPS vary in weight from GPS III Pilot (255g), to GPSMAP 196 (680g) to GPS 696 (1012g). Forky and Jaba would be good examples of multiple GPS users....An iPad Mini weighs 312g and an iPad2 weighs 613g. I do not recall any previous push by CASA to use CASR 1998 21M to scare these units into stowage and the push to do so now to differentiate EFB from GPS units in commonly accepted use makes no sense on the basis of mass.....

BTW at my last CIR renewal, the testing officer complemented me on the combined approach plate clipboard/GPS III pilot yoke mount I had.......so I can't logically see them wetting their pants at an iPad mini on the yoke, whatever its use.