PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EVS minima in Europe part 91
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 03:36
fox2kill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVS minima in Europe part 91

Using EVS to meet the visibility requirements of an approach does not affect the category of the approach.

For example, a Cat I ILS with a visibility requirement of 550 meters is still a Cat I approach when the RVR is reported to be 350 meters and the pilot uses EVS to meet the 550 meter requirement. If the pilot sees "EVS Lights" at or before the DA, it means the approach's visibility requirement of at least 550 meters has been met. He is now allowed to continue the approach to 100 ft above touchdown. If the pilot sees with his eyeballs a runway (not approach lights) at or before the 100 ft DA, he may land. The RVR being reported as 350 meters does not make this a less-than-Cat I operation. In accordance with EUR OPS 1.430 Appendix 1, Table 9, the reported RVR cannot be less 350 meters, otherwise the approach cannot be attempted.

Guidance from 1.440 about less-than-Cat I operations is not relevant to the example above.

Another example: When flying into the Isle of Mann, be aware that EUR OPS 1 is not relevant. They have their own regs. To use EVS there, you must first register the aircraft and the operator, proving the aircraft is certified and the pilots have been trained.

The opinion of a pilot with 7 years of EVS approaches in Gulfstreams.