PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2013, 00:07
kbrockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still advocating a split buy, something like a Gripen /EF mix or Gripen/ Rafale or Gripen/F18SH, with many commonality possibilities EJ200 or GE F414 engines, similar radar architecture (Northrop AESA radars or Selex based ones) ,a common weapons arsenal ,BK27mm gun, Meteor, IRST, bombs smart ones dumb ones and even smarter ones, things like Brimstone , SCALP/StormShadow, etc. ... . a good data-link and interchangeable pods, screens, everything down to the flight suite and helmet with HMCS would be a very attractive package as I see it.

The only thing we really give up on is the deep rooted stealth as used in the likes of the F35, it compromises the whole package too much and there are better alternatives for first day strike (cruise missiles/UAV next gen).

The whole stealth idea for a long term project like the F35 clearly (rumours of using it 60 years) is a foolish idea anyway.
Just look at how fast the F117 became obsolete, new radar, sensor and computing technologies will do exactly the same with the F35 and it will take a lot less time than anyone envisaged at the birth of the JSF stealth idea, it is the old conundrum all over again, what is best armour or ammo, in this case Stealth or detection technology, it will always be much quicker and cheaper to develop a new sensor defeating or largely negating stealth while it will be virtually impossible to change a whole aircraft once its shape and materials are set in stone.

After reality caught up with the F35, it will still be a big fat overweight and draggy bird which keeps on consuming too much fuel, costing too much to operate and will not offer any substantial advantage when it comes to low observability.

Luckily we're still at a point(but time is fading quickly) when we can safe that what is good about the JSF, namely its separate systems, the Radar, the optical and IR-sensors, the engine and yes in time even the helmet.
All of which can be used by most, if not all, of the legacy fighters and latest Euro Canards.

For us Europeans this could be even better than joining the JSF project, we can make ourselves a good couple of fighters keeping the technology in house or for those that wish to team up with our American friends maybe go in an alliance with a good third partner (like Boeing or Northrop) and use and further develop one of the American fighters.

Personally I would love to see us (Belgium) teaming up with the Dutch, Danish, Swiss and even the Norwegians, if they can be swinged away from their infatuation with all things American, and go with a split Eurofighter/Gripen NG buy with EJ230 or 260 engines.
Teaming up with Bae/SaaB we can build something great which can serve us for many decades in sufficient numbers without bankrupting us in the long run.

my two cents.