PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2013, 20:26
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny : Sky funerals

Great reminiscence Danny, and up to your usual standard. Your recollection of the " ashes drop" brought to mind my time on the Flight line at RAF Lyneham (mid 80's). A very well known and well liked W.O. Had died and asked that his ashes be disbursed from the ramp of an Albert, over a particularly beautiful spot of his choosing. Permission was granted for this and the task flown, complete with Sky Pilot and supporters, all wearing belts and being tethered to the floor.

As the point of release approached, said sky pilot began his ministrations, the para drop sequence lights were used in sequence and the Loadmaster attempted to spread the contents of the urn to the four winds. As any Para will tell you, the turbulence around the rear of Albert is serious stuff, and, whilst most of the contents of the urn escaped to target, a lot remained, coating the inside of the rear of the aircraft.

Funny thing, I did loads of routes in that particular aircraft as a GE and often felt that my old W.O. was there laughing at me. Your last post brought that straight back to mind after many years, Thank you.

Smudge

Last edited by smujsmith; 17th Jan 2013 at 20:28.