PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I need your advice regarding volunteering
Old 17th Jan 2013, 19:18
EddieHeli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you don't like the work you are being asked to do and it makes you miserable you'll start to hate it and that will rub off on your love of flying.
Life is too short, get a better paying job that you enjoy and pay for your own lessons. Doesn't stop you hanging around the airfield when you are not working and getting to know everyone and everything.
Look for a better paying job than minimum wage. Easier said than done I know but imagine if you put the same number of hours into getting that well paying job as you did hanging around to wash a few dishes how the results might pan out.
Things tend to work out for people who are prepared to put the effort in, and this volunteering thing is obviously designed for the benefit of the flying school not the person doing the volunteering. The same amount of effort expended elswhere might bring greater rewards.
That's my tuppenceworth anyway.

Edited to add that whenever I went flying in my own plane with spare seats I would offer to take people with me if they were hanging around the club. The only person to refuse was a spotter who treated me like royalty as I was a pilot who actually took the trouble to speak to him, but wouldn't come flying as the thought of it scared him witless

Last edited by EddieHeli; 17th Jan 2013 at 19:22.