PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcans Falkland Raid
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2013, 15:42
langleybaston

Received 764 Likes on 262 Posts
QUOTe.

The lost art of bombing requires four things. The wind speed at release, the wind speed at the target and the the flight characteristics of the bomb. The forth is an interpelation ot the wind during th descent which is normally a comprimise between the upper an lower winds. The Vulcan crew has two of those but no knowledge of the surface or the mid level wind.

I know nothing about bombing but a lot about wind [ask my wife, who suffers the manifestations].

It is true that the mid-level winds are usually somewhere within the extremes of the "bombing level" and the surface [vectors, not just speeds] but your met man straight out of training should know if the change of direction with height is veering or backing or indeed virtually steady ......... this from a consideration of approaching/ departing warm and cold air, so-called advection. "Thermal winds" and such difficult stuff.
However, the total effect of the lowest level winds on a streamlined bomb at near terminal velocity should be small unless a gale is blowing [which again, the met man should be in with a chance of forecasting.

There was enough shipping [friendlies] in the area to construct a halfway decent chart .......................

PROVIDED THE NAVY SHARED THE OBSERVATIONS.

I was stuck at Bawtry so know little of the sharp end, but we did have met men [and very experienced] of the MMU at Ascension, despite the RN desire to get rid of them as they stepped off the aircraft. I would be surprised if they did not give a reasonably accurate forecast ............ as opposed to cloud, rain, snow, fog, the atmospheric pressure and wind are usually forecastable to small margins.