PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreaming of flying a jet (specially to you older guys!)
Old 17th Jan 2013, 15:05
truckflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 119.35 - I am on the line now, all passed, so it that sense relieved and happy for that!

DCS136 - A well formulated post, and I agree and understand many of the things you say.

Yes, it is remarkable, I know this, my passion for flight has not passed. There are just certain aspects that are hard to handle!
Give me the flack you want, I can see the difference between people who do have some understanding, and those who are shallow like the Camden river!

Believe me this is not an emotion that I am alone about to feel! I know plenty colleagues who share similar view, with a difference of that maybe some of them have been flying for a few more years!

Of course, a 9 to 5 job has never appealed me, and that is not my past, I never had such a job in the past, that's maybe what makes things a bit different, as I do not relate to that kind of lifestyle, that some of you might be desperate to get out of!

About being in the wrong company, probably, but again as you ALL know, in the start we have no choice, even less when you start at my age!

I am not a fragile little soul looking for sympathy, if I was, I would be in this position I am in today, I would not have got the job as I have today!
I have made my made, and I lay in it, for good or for bad!

But I wanted to open the eyes of some of you, who so desperately are longing for this "life" - to try to make you see, that it might not be what you expect!

Now some of you might not have families, and some of you might be happy to get away from your "so called" loved ones!

I find it an extreme waste of quality time, sitting in some murky hotel in some strange country, where I don't understand a word of what people say, or some even murkier apartment - your lives contents is only about going into that jet, and after sitting in some place waiting to sleep to be ready to go next days work!
Sure we can keep connections trough Skype and internet, but how boring is that in the long run!

Anyway, I don't really care what some of you guys might think, all I wanted was to give an insight in the real life for a career changer like me!

If you dream is to live an anti-social life without family and friends, well than this is the perfect change! And I do know, there are people who choose this, many of you are willing to sell your grandmother to get a chance in the cockpit!
It blinds you from all normal reasoning that you would use in other decisions in your life! That's the power of aviation! 8 days away, and 2.5 days home with the people who matter most for you!

Unless you have children, you have NO CLUE what you are talking about!