PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreaming of flying a jet (specially to you older guys!)
Old 17th Jan 2013, 14:49
Artie Fufkin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having slept on my more fruity-language post earlier, I still feel your attitude is just so bad that I frankly don't believe you. If it wasn't for your lengthy posting history I would assume you to be a troll. But on the assumption you are not...

When you decided to make a career change to become a pilot, honestly, what were you expecting? What exciting things did you imagine airline pilots do whilst the autopilot flies the cruise? What was it that you were expecting to happen that didn't? Just how hard did you think about this decision? Quite evidently the answer has to be "not very much".

You say you were really bored during your long day, but this was your first day in the flight deck of an airliner. For most of us it was like a child being let loose in a sweet shop. And to top it all off, you describe a day dodging thunderstorms as boring??

I wonder how you explain that, what is there really to between TOC and TOD? Not really much, preparing the approach and briefing takes about 5 minutes, so yes on long flights I really get bored!
Part of the unofficial skill set of a pilot, and something that used to be tested very hard before HR departments took recruitment off pilots is the ability to entertain your colleague during the lean hours. I'm not going to give the press a field day by describing some of the tricks i have seen used. If you were bored on day one, I feel for your colleagues! Please tell me your company doesn't have any night flights back from Cyprus.

Doing something wrong, because I am bored??? Really???
If you are still new, then yes! They do say it takes 500 hours in an airliner before you even realise just how much there is still to learn, but that doesn't excuse your apparent lack of desire to learn anything, either by the manuals (don't try and pretend you know all your ops manuals back to front) or by asking your skipper about how he or she handled this or that experience.

End of the day, it is what it is, it is just a job, nothing more, nothing less! Like any job you do, it will become - just that!
Exactly why, if you had the slightest decency, would resign straight away and give your job to someone who would actually enjoy being there. I've been flying for around 9 years and even now, I'm still looking forward to my next day at work.

Your attitude absolutely stinks! I wonder what wannabes struggling to stay current in the hope of a sniff of a job make of your ungrateful ass?

Yeah, BORING!