PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dreaming of flying a jet (specially to you older guys!)
Old 17th Jan 2013, 12:12
DCS136

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truckflyer

From reading your posts above there seem to be two issues that are causing you grief.
For the record, I am an aspiring career changer myself and I have limited knowledge of item 1 but expert knowledge of item 2.

1) The job is not as you expected it to be.
I find this hard to believe as from reading some of your previous posts you seem to have been pro-active for quite some time in trying to secure an airline position. There are any number of posts, blogs etc on the internet that provide an insight into a 'day in the life of a pilot'. You must surely have spoken to several pilots along the way that would have given you an insight into the job.
I think that you have done remarkably well to secure a job in the current market, especially when you are at the slightly older end of the hiring spectrum (I will be approaching 37yo when training complete). I would give it time, perhaps you are still adjusting to the change in home lifestyle and working environment which is skewing your view of the job.

2) Absence from Family Life.
This is something that I know very well. I have a wife and two young children, I work and live away from home (family life and comforts) for an average of 250 days per year. I have done this for 10 years now, with the days away getting more and more each year and it is hard, it does get easier with time but the key is to have a solid family unit. The most important point for me is to ensure that when I am at home I make sure that the time spent with my family is of good quality and lots of fun. Plus it's a good excuse for not doing the DIY jobs

Anyone considering a career change will likely be self-financing (as you pointed out) and should be able to put together a base case plan for moving forward prior to spending circa £50k on training.

This should include at least the following:
1) Why do you want a career change?
2) Do you really want it?
3) How will you pay for it?
4) Risks to Family life, financial security, lifestyle change
5) Job Prospects and lifestyle (See 4)
6) Long term opportunities
7) Back-up plan if it doesn't work

I am sure that you considered all of the above and were prepared to make the necessary sacrifices from the outset. I would suggest re-visiting all of the above to help take stock of your journey so far and where you go next. I find with some guys coming into my industry later in life that they really do struggle with being away from home, so you need to find something that works for you.

From my own point of view, when I qualify I would like to have any flying job, just being paid to fly (I imagine that's what most people think when they are starting out). However, the reality is that I have a family to support, mortgage to pay etc so I do not have the luxury that I would have had many years ago. That is the main issue for a career changer with commitments and I know (from my planning) that I will be able to spend a couple of years in a low paid job before funds will run out and I will either need to have secured a better paid flying job by then or return part-time to my current industry to keep things ticking over.