PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:54
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually using this to get your ticket and experence then going somewhere else is the best most logical method for a pilot I have seen yet on the thread.

To be honest the salary isn't that great our TP FO's get more.

You will get the bonus of the tax breaks so it is worth it.

Command is bloody brillant to be honest its when flying becomes fun again. You get to set the tone of the day and life becomes extremely easy in my experence.

20 years as an FO sod that although with the size of the crew base you won't be flying with the same special needs Captains week in week out.

Use it for yourself you don't owe BA anything once you have done your time.
With all do respect, had you been fighting for this position like some of us, you also, most likely would not make it. It's not just about getting to the captain's seat. It's about working for a company you love and have passion for.

I am not saying that perhaps your expectations would be met once you do your time with BA, and perhaps that would be a good reason to leave. Which is fair enough. But going into the FPP and thinking about it as a stepping stone, well frankly I think you will be much less of an asset to BA than anyone who really wants to work for them.

Also, please tell me a better airline to work for in the UK than BA?

Looking at BA's salary it's one of the better options around. 1st year or two are not great (although fantastic compared to some others) but then it increases pretty rapidly. Not to mention the vast amount of different opportunities and aircraft available for anyone to progress to. I have yet to see a UK airline that has A320s, A380s (soon), 747s, 787s (soon), 777s, 767s.

But as I said, I don't have anything against people moving in the event that BA doesn't meet their expectations. Just find it incredible that some people discard this great airlines as a "ticket" to somewhere else so they can make captain.