PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Millionaire helicopter pilots to ferry emergency services...
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:25
thedandyfireman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hughes500, I can only assume that the brigade are asking him to do what he is doing because he is offering to do it for free, and the chief can use it to make cuts to frontline services, as our budgets are being cut. There is an agenda somewhere. I explained earlier that, yes, the kit may be light and portable, but, you still need the blokes to use it. I believe he will only be carrying two firemen, so, with the best will in the world, you CAN cut someone out of a wreck with two of you, but you can kiss goodbye to the 'Golden Hour'. It isn't just a case of just cutting the roof off, as some people think. There is stabilisation, glass management, trauma care and BLS, (if we arrive before the ambo's), constant checking of stabilisation, etc, etc, etc. That is just not possible with two of you. There is a reason we arrive mob-handed! He also has to pick the crew up? That will take time. We pride ourselves on our speed of response, and, in the time it takes him to do that, the local crew would be there 'Getting to work'. Incidently, my brigade, (Avon), has dismissed the idea of a helicopter, if I understand what the chief has said correctly. London did the same, so, there must be a common denominator. Anyway, the only times we have ever used a helicopter in my twenty years service, the police let us use theirs, and the RAF flew in a SeaKing, which during a conversation with the crew, they said they're always happy to help us out. Regards to 4x4's, the ones we have are fitted with off-road tyres, and all us EFADS drivers with a 4x4 on station have been on a course to drive them. You're correct, they aren't amphibious, but we also have boats. One permanently docked at Bristol docks and a RIB at Bath and Bedminster fire stations that can be towed anywhere. I hope my explanation helps? Nice idea and offer, and I don't know the man, so I can't comment on what he's like as a person, but, I really think that if he is doing this for altruistic reasons, then he should be looking at donating the money to his local air ambulance or, maybe patient transfer in his aircraft? (Don't shoot me down in flames if that's a daft suggestion!). Thanks for your kind offer of coming down in the 4x4, (I drive an old Toyota 4x4 - with off-road tyres), but, I'd rather have a go in your helicopter! They've fascinated me since I was a kid, and I'm a frustrated helicopter pilot! Never lucky enough to join the RAF and Navy, and my Mum would'nt let me join the Army Air Corps! So, if you ever need a passenger! Actually, that goes for any of you near the Bristol area - if you ever need a passenger, PM me. You let me have a ride in your helicopter, I'll show you and your kids around the fire station. Can't say fairer than that!!

Last edited by thedandyfireman; 17th Jan 2013 at 10:27.