PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - THS Jackscrew design
View Single Post
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:17
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They did not make a request for "'what do we do". They elicited information as would any crew and made their own decisions with respect to the information received.

According to Alaska Airlines documents, ATC and CVR information, and postaccident interviews with Alaska Airlines dispatch and maintenance personnel, the flight crew contacted the airline’s dispatch and maintenance control facilities in SEA some time before the beginning of the CVR transcript at 1549:4912 to discuss a jammed horizontal stabilizer and a possible diversion to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Los Angeles, California. These discussions were conducted on a shared company radio frequency between Alaska Airlines’ dispatch and maintenance facilities at SEA and its operations and maintenance facilities at LAX.

At 1549:56, the autopilot was disengaged; it was re-engaged at 1550:15.
According to the CVR transcript, at 1550:44, SEA maintenance asked the flight crew, “understand you’re requesting… diversion to LA …is there a specific reason you prefer LA over San Francisco?” The captain replied, “well a lotta times its windy and rainy and wet in San Francisco and uh, it seemed to me that a dry runway…where the wind is usually right down the runway seemed a little more reasonable.

At 1552:02, an SEA dispatcher provided the flight crew with the current SFO
weather (wind was 180° at 6 knots; visibility was 9 miles). The SEA dispatcher added, “if uh you want to land at LA of course for safety reasons we will do that…we’ll …tell you though that if we land in LA… we’ll be looking at probably an hour to an hour and a half we have a major flow program going right now.” At 1552:41, the captain replied, “I really didn’t want to hear about the flow being the reason you’re calling us cause I’m concerned about overflying suitable airports.” At 1553:28, the captain discussed with the first officer potential landing runways at SFO, stating, “one eight zero at six…so that’s runway one six what we need is runway one nine, and they’re not landing runway one nine.” The first officer replied, “I don’t think so.” At 1553:46, the captain asked SEA dispatch if they could “get some support” or “any ideas” from an instructor to troubleshoot the problem; he received no response. At 1555:00, the captain commented, “it just blows me away they think we’re gonna land, they’re gonna fix it, now they’re worried about the flow, I’m sorry this airplane’s [not] gonna go anywhere for a while …so you know.” A flight attendant replied, “so they’re trying to put the pressure on you,” the captain stated, “well, no, yea.”

At 1556:08, the SEA dispatcher informed the flight crew that, according to the SFO automatic terminal information service, the landing runways in use at SFO were 28R and 28L and that “it hasn’t rained there in hours so I’m looking at…probably a dry runway.” At 1556:26, the captain stated that he was waiting for a requested center of gravity (CG) update (for landing), and then he requested information on wind conditions at LAX. At 1556:50, the SEA dispatcher replied that the wind at LAX was 260° at 9 knots.

Nine seconds later, the captain, comparing SFO and LAX wind conditions, told the SEA dispatcher, “versus a direct crosswind which is effectively no change in groundspeed…I gotta tell you, when I look at it from a safety point I think that something that lowers my groundspeed makes sense.”16 The SEA dispatcher replied, “that’ll mean LAX then for you.” He then asked the captain to provide LAX operations with the information needed to recompute the airplane’s CG because “they can probably whip out that CG for you real quick.” At 1558:15, the captain told the SEA dispatcher, “we’re goin to LAX we’re gonna stay up here and burn a little more gas get all our ducks in a row,
and then we’ll uh be talking to LAX when we start down to go in there.” At 1558:45, the captain asked LAX operations if it could “compute [the airplane’s] current CG based on the information we had at takeoff.”

At 1602:33, the captain asked LAX operations for wind information at SFO. LAX operations replied that the winds at SFO were 170° at 6 knots. The captain replied, “that’s what I needed. We are comin in to see you.” At 1603:56, the first officer began giving LAX operations the information it needed to recompute the airplane’s CG for landing.

At 1607:54, a mechanic at Alaska Airlines’ LAX maintenance facility contacted
the flight crew on the company radio frequency and asked, “are you [the] guys with the uh, horizontal [stabilizer] situation?” The captain replied, “affirmative,” and the mechanic, referring to the stabilizer’s primary trim system, asked, “did you try the suitcase handles and the pickle switches?” At 1608:03, the captain replied, “yea we tried everything together.” At 1608:08, the captain added, “we’ve run just about everything if you’ve got any hidden circuit breakers we’d love to know about ‘em.” The mechanic stated that he would “look at the uh circuit breaker uh guide just as a double check.” The LAX mechanic then asked the flight crew about the status of the alternate trim system, and, at 1608:35, the captain replied that “it appears to be jammed…the whole thing, it [the AC load meter] spikes out when we use the primary, we get AC [electrical] load that tells me the motor’s tryin to run but the brake won’t move it. when we use the alternate, nothing happens.”

At 1608:50, the LAX mechanic asked, “you say you get a spike…on the meter up there in the cockpit when you uh try to move it with the …primary right?” According to the CVR transcript, at 1608:59, the captain addressed the first officer before responding to the mechanic, stating, “I’m gonna click it off you got it.” One second later, the first officer replied, “ok.” At 1609:01, the captain reiterated to the LAX mechanic that the spike occurred “when we do the primary trim but there’s no appreciable uh change in the uh electrical uh when we do the alternate.” The LAX mechanic replied that he would see them when they arrived at the LAX maintenance facility.